About the campaign
Welcome to the Thirsting for Justice campaign! Launched in May 2011, the aim of the campaign is to mobilise European citizens to demand that their governments pressure Israel to change its policies and practices in order to comply with international law and respect Palestinians’ human rights.
The main objectives are:
- To ensure that Israel respects Palestinians' rights to water and sanitation.
- That Palestinians be allowed to develop infrastructure
- Greater accountability for violations of international law
To learn more about the campaign and its objectives, please visit our website.
Interested in joining the campaign? Here are several ways to support it:
- On Facebook: donate your status for one hour, by pasting the following message: "Palestinians are Thirsting for Justice!" In addition, you can "Like" our Facebook page and write a message of support on the wall.
- On Twitter: you can follow us and join our Twitter appeal by tweeting the following messages:
EU (@eu_eeas) must do more to stop Israeli violations. Palestinians are @thirsty4justice #T4J #Palestine
European Union (@eu_eeas) speak out against Israel´s discriminative policies on water in the oPt! @thirstyforjustice #T4J #Palestine
Ashton (@eu_eeas), water is a basic right, but not for everyone. Support Palestinian right to water @thirstyforjustice #T4J #Palestine
Ashton (@eu_eeas), water cannot be held hostage to the political process. Palestinians are @thirstyforjustice #T4J #Palestine
- Join the photo petition: take a picture of yourself holding a banner with the words "Thirsting for Justice" and send it to us, with your name and city, at email@example.com. We will publish it on the website and Facebook, and on posters and postcards.
- Sign our petition directed at Catherine Ashton, the European Union´s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- Become an ambassador and organize activities in your community to raise awareness, link with other ambassadors around the world, and mobilize your school or community to lobby elected officials.
- Or, simply spread the word!
Become a T4J ambassador!
Maram O. Owda (pictured above) is a student in business administration in Al Azhar University in the Gaza Strip. She is also one of several ambassadors for the campaign.
"I joined the campaign because our rights to water and sanitation are violated and neglected. Water [in the Gaza Strip] is not safe for human consumption and the sanitation services are not adequate," says Maram.
Since becoming an ambassador, Maram has talked about the campaign to her friends and classmates and encouraged them to join it. Along with other ambassadors, she has also participated in the production of a documentary on the sanitation crisis in Gaza. She is currently taking a training course on advocacy and leadership in order to better advocate for these fundamental rights and inform the public of the gravity of the crisis in Gaza.
Thirsting for Justice is backed by The Emergency Water Sanitation and Hygiene group (EWASH) in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, a coalition of 30 leading humanitarian organizations is launching, through its Advocacy Task Force (ATF), the Thirsting for Justice Campaign[i] to mobilise European citizens to demand that their governments pressure Israel to change its behavior in order to comply with international law and respect Palestinians’ human rights.