Monday, 2 April 2012

Israel drops leaflets declaring no-go zone - Palestinian killed Saturday on border unidentified


GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli planes dropped pamphlets in the southern Gaza Strip on Monday morning, warning Palestinians not to enter a no-go zone on its southern border.

The leaflets, signed by Israeli forces general command, include a map of the zone, a Ma'an correspondent said.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said the leaflets were dropped in several locations, and "reiterated to the citizens of the Gaza Strip to keep a 300-meter distance," from the border area.

Israeli soldiers "will operate in accordance with the rules of engagement, and will use live fire if they need when the security fence is approached," the leaflet warned, according to the spokeswoman.

It also warned against "cooperation with terror organizations, involvement in violent riots, and approaching the security fence," she said.

The Israeli army said soldiers shot dead a Palestinian they suspected of trying to plant explosives beneath a fence at the border with Gaza late on Saturday.

"It should be noted that during the past week, (Israeli) soldiers uncovered three explosive devices adjacent to the security fence in the Gaza Strip. All three devices were diffused in a controlled manner," an army statement said Sunday.

None of the armed groups in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip claimed responsibility for the alleged incident.

The killing of the unidentified Palestinian on Saturday came a day after troops at the border shot dead one person and injured over 30 others as protesters marked the Land Day anniversary. more

Three Gaza children burnt to death after fire caused by using candle due to lack of electricity


Three Palestinian children were burnt to death in a fire started by a candle being used due to lack of electricity in the Gaza Strip, which has been under crippling Israeli blockade since June 2007.

"A fire broke out in the children's room," said Adham Abu Selmiya, emergency services spokesman for Gaza, on Sunday.

"Apparently the fire was caused by a candle which was being used after the electricity was cut," he added.

The children were of two, five and six years of age.

Selmiya stated that the incident took place in the central town of Deir Balah.

He also said that another child, aged six months, was badly burnt and was rushed to hospital. more