The European Union External Action said in a press release that the spokesperson of Catherine Ashton, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the Commission, issued the following statement today:
"The High Representative is following with great concern reports about the deteriorating health condition of Samer al-Barq and Hassan Safadi, Palestinians held in administrative detention without charge in Israel, who are both on an extended hunger strike."
"She requests the Government of Israel to do all it can to preserve the health of Mr al-Barq and Mr Safad in its continued handling of their respective cases. She also reiterates the EU's longstanding concern about the extensive use by Israel of administrative detention orders." more
On Monday 17th September, Israeli occupation warships opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats in Khan-Younis in the southern coast of the Gaza.
Local sources reported that the Israeli ships opened fire toward Palestinian fishermen in the fishing area specified for Palestinian fishermen, which was limited by Israeli authorities within three nautical miles. more
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — A Hamas court has convicted four men for the slaying of a pro-Palestinian Italian activist in Gaza.
Vittorio Arrigoni was kidnapped and choked to death in March 2011 by hardline Muslim extremists. It was the first such incident in Gaza since the Islamic militant group seized the coastal territory in 2007.
A judicial official said Monday that Gaza’s military court on Saturday convicted two men of murder, sentencing them to life in prison. A third man got a 10-year sentence as an accomplice while a fourth man was sentenced to a year’s imprisonment.
The judicial official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information hasn’t been announced yet. more
GAZA CITY (Ma’an) -- The government in the Gaza Strip has conducted an investigation with Egyptian coordination into the deadly border attack last month, and found no Palestinians were involved, a Palestinian official said on Monday.
Neither residents of the Gaza Strip nor other Palestinians played a part in the killing of 16 Egyptian security officials on Aug. 5, spokesman of Gaza's interior ministry, Ehab al-Ghasein, said in a statement.
He warned against taking news reports as an accurate account of the attack on the Sinai border post. Egypt and Gaza have continuous official contacts on political, economic and security levels, and formed a Joint Security Committee after the border assault, he said.
News circulating about Palestinian involvement is designed to sow Fitna (discord) between Egyptians and Palestinians, especially after the Egyptian revolution increased Egypt's support to Palestine, al-Ghasein said.
Shortly after the attack, Egypt closed the Rafah crossing and moved to seal myriad smuggling tunnels with Gaza on suspicion they might have been used by militants who shot dead the soldiers before storming an Israeli border crossing near Gaza. more