GAZA, (PIC)-- Occupation authorities released on Tuesday evening, a prisoner from Gaza after serving his sentence of 22 years.
Palestinian sources said that the prisoner Suhail Saeed al-jadily, 39, from Bureij refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip, was released on Tuesday evening after serving twenty two years in Israeli jails.
The occupation forces have arrested al-Jadily on September 26, 1990, when he was at the age of 17, on charge of participating in killing the Israeli soldier "Amnon", who had entered Bureij camp and had been killed there by some youths during the first Intifada.
A military court sentenced Suhail to 22 years imprisonment, which he has spent moving between several sections and cells in the Israeli occupation jails.
Dozens of relatives and friends of the liberated captive were waiting for him at the Beit Hanoun crossing "Erez" in the northern Gaza Strip. more
GAZA (Reuters) – At least 500 protesters in the Gaza Strip have called for the overthrow of the ruling Islamist Hamas group in a rare demonstration triggered by the death of a three-year-old boy in a fire during a power outage.
Protesters in the Bureij refugee camp, where the boy’s family live, called for Hamas to be toppled and chanted “The people want to down the regime” late on Tuesday night, echoing slogans adopted in Arab revolutions in neighbouring countries. The police swiftly dispersed the crowd.
Demonstrators took to the streets as the boy’s body was being moved to a hospital, saying they were protesting against the incompetent way Hamas ruled Gaza. Anger spilled over after the boy died and his infant sister suffered critical burns when a candle lit amid a power outage burnt their house down.
Anti-Hamas protests in Gaza, where power failures have left households with just six hours of electricity a day since February, are extremely rare. Three children were killed earlier in the year by similar fires during an outage.
Hamas blames the electricity shortages on Egypt which it says is restricting the flow of fuel, and on Israel, which imposed a blockade on the coastal enclave in 2007 when Hamas seized control from the Western-backed Palestinian Fatah party. more
Mona Eltahawy, the prominent Egyptian-American writer and activist, has been arrested in New York, after spraying paint over a controversial poster on the subway that has been condemned for equating Muslims with "savages".
The posters which have been put up in the city by the anti-Muslim American Freedom Defense Initiative, led by Pam Geller, were approved by a US court, which ruled that they were "political" statements and protected by the first amendment, which guarantees free speech.
The poster states: "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man." Between two Stars of David, it adds: "Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."
Eltahawy was arrested after a supporter of Geller's initiative attempted to prevent her defacing the sign with a purple aerosol.
The posters are now displayed in 10 New York stations – including Grand Central and Times Square – after a court ruled that the local transport authority could not refuse the ads.
In a video posted online of the incident by the New York Post, Mona Eltahawy can be seen attempting to paint over the poster before she is tackled by a woman with a camera identified as Pamela Hall.
"Mona, do you think you have the right to do this?" Eltahway is asked. "I do actually," Eltahawy replies.
"I think this is freedom of expression, just as [the ad] is freedom of expression." As the scuffle continues two police officers appear to then arrest Eltahawy, who says: "This is what happens in America when you non-violently protest." more
The so-called Israeli Civil Administration Office, run under the Israeli Military in the occupied West Bank, is planning to pave a new road to be used by Jewish settlers, in the northern West Bank district of Qalqilia.
The new planned road will be built on expense of privately-owned Palestinian lands that belong to villagers of Izbit At-Tabeeb, Nabi Elias and Azzoun.
Izbit At-Tabeeb is located in Area C of the occupied West Bank falling under Israeli military and administrative control, and Israel refuses to recognize it while the residents are facing constant threats of been removed from their own homes and lands.
Residents of the village told the Arabs48 News Website that Israeli officials arrived at the village and starting placing markers on the villagers’ lands, and when asked about what they were doing, the officials said that a previously planned settler road will be built soon, and will lead to the confiscation of lands that belong to the villagers of Izbit At-Tabeeb and a number of nearby villages.
The residents objected to what was happening and forced the Civil Administration team to leave, and the team said they will be back “under protection of the military”. more
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Qatar is planning to provide half a billion dollars in assistance to the Gaza Strip over the coming three years to rebuild infrastructure destroyed in Israeli attacks.
In a visit to the enclave Tuesday, Qatari ambassador Muhammad al-Imadi said the Gulf country's emir created a special committee to distribute some $450 million for infrastructure, development and education projects.
The committee has already started consultations with Palestinian officials, he said.
Ismail Haniyeh, the prime minister of the Hamas-led government in Gaza, thanked Qatar for its position on the 2008-2009 Cast Lead operation and against the blockade.
He also applauded Qatar's efforts to reconstruct buildings destroyed in the assault. "Qatar has always been the first country in supporting the Palestinian cause," he said.