Sunday, 2 December 2012

Premier League footballers condemn attack on Gaza, boosting pressure on UEFA to pull 2013 U21 from Israel


A call by 62 top football players, many from English Premier League and first division teams in Europe, condemning Israel’s recent attack on Gaza and the decision by UEFA, the European football federation, to hold its 2013 Under 21 tournament in Israel, has received wide and favorable coverage.

This takes the Palestinian campaign for the boycott of Israel, especially the sporting boycott, to new levels of international mainstream prominence and legitimacy.

“Unacceptable that children are killed while they play football”

The statement, posted on the website of former Seville striker who now plays for Chinese Super League side Beijing Guoan, Frédéric Kanouté says:
We, as European football players, express our solidarity with the people of Gaza who are living under siege and denied basic human dignity and freedom. The latest Israeli bombardment of Gaza, resulting in the death of over a hundred civilians, was yet another stain on the world’s conscience.
more

Israel resumes family visits for Gaza prisoners


GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities on Sunday resumed family visits for Gazan prisoners jailed in Israel, a prisoners group said.

Saber Abu Karsh, chairman of the Gaza-based Waed Prisoner Association, said in a statement that 59 family members will visit Nafha prison on Monday.

The group will depart from outside the offices of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Abu Karsh said.

In late October, the Palestinian Authority ministry of detainees said that Israel had canceled family visits for prisoners from Gaza, three months after they were resumed.

In July, Israel allowed the first visits to prisoners from Gaza in five years. Visits had been banned since 2007 to pressure Hamas to release Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who was freed in Oct. 2011. more

Israel 'seizes PA revenues' in response to UN vote on Palestine


TEL AVIV, Israel (Ma'an) -- Israel's government decided to seize Palestinian Authority tax revenues in response to the UN vote to recognize Palestine as a non-member state, Israeli media reported Sunday.

Israel will use the 460 million shekels ($120 million) of November tax payments to pay PA debts to the Israeli Electric Company, the Haaretz newspaper reported.



Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz told the Sunday cabinet meeting that UN vote is a "Palestinian provocation and an attempt to advance their state without recognizing Israel," new site Ynet reported. The Israeli government also unveiled plans on Friday to build 3,000 new settlement units and expedite building in the so-called E-1 area of the occupied West Bank, a day after the UN vote.

Steinitz said Sunday: "It is high time that Jerusalem will be connected to (Israeli settlement) Maale Adumim. We told the US that if the Palestinians would go to the UN there would be repercussions."

The United States, one of just eight countries to vote alongside Israel against the Palestinians at the UN General Assembly, had called the latest expansion plan "counterproductive." more