Thursday, 17 January 2013

Reports: Israel to apologise to Turkey over Mavi Marmara


On Thursday 17th January, Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, Danny Ayalon, confirmed that Israel is ready to send an apology letter to Turkey over Mavi Marmara incident, such as the one Washington sent to Pakistan over the killing of 24 Pakistani soldiers.

According to Daily HURRIYET Turkish newspaper, that after 32 months of the Mavi Marmara incident, Ayalon said that he was seeing some kind of improvement opportunities in Turkey-Israel relations and that Israel was ready to apologize. more

Egyptian man found dead after Rafah tunnel collapse


GAZA CITY (Ma’an) -- Another man was found dead on Thursday after a smuggling tunnel collapsed under Gaza's border with Egypt last week.

The body of Salem Musa Samaha, an Egyptian citizen, was pulled out of a tunnel near Rafah, civil defense spokesman Khalid Al-Ajrami told Ma’an.

He was missing since last week, when the tunnel was among several that fell in amid heavy rainfall.

Another worker, Bassam Khader Shahin, was found dead in the same incident on Wednesday, and two others were earlier rescued. more

Israel razes Bab al-Shams protest village


BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces tore down tents in the Bab al-Shams protest village overnight Wednesday following an Israeli high court ruling, activists and police said.

Activist Ali Abedat told Ma'an that Israeli forces deployed heavily in the area on Wednesday, sealing entrances to the village with cement blocks.

Overnight, four Israeli bulldozers, several military vehicles and dozens of settlers raided the village and tore down the tents, Abedat said.

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said all tents had been cleared from the area. "There were no disturbances," he added.

Bab al-Shams village council member Mahmud Zawahra told Ma'an that activists would rebuild the village soon. more