Saturday, 28 September 2013

Video: Vicious settler attack leaves 15-year-old in need of hospitalisation

Home of the Abu Rajab family occupied by settlers

On 24 September a mob of Israeli settlers invaded the roof of a Palestinian family in Hebron, attacked several Palestinians and international activists and beat a 15-year-old unconscious, leading to hospitalisation.

At approximately 5pm a group of Israeli settlers and Jewish tourists entered the roof of the Abu Shamsiyeh family without permission after they had already tried to force their way into another family’s house in the Tel Rumeida neighbourhood. After international activists confronted the invading group and insisted that nearby soldiers remove the trespassers, they eventually left the roof but continued to verbally harass Palestinians and internationals present.

The verbal harassment quickly turned into a vicious assault with several settlers pushing, hitting and kicking Palestinians. Three teenage settlers brutally assaulted Abu Shamsiyeh’s 15-year-old son leaving him unconscious and requiring hospital treatment. He has since been released and is recovering in the care of his family.

In past years, several Palestinians in Tel Rumeida have been severely attacked, beaten and injured by settlers, have lost pregnancies due to attacks, have had their houses broken into and furniture and electrical appliances smashed, trees in their gardens cut down and plants uprooted and poisoned. On a day to day basis, Palestinians have to deal with minor incidents such as spitting, stone-throwing and insults by the settler community. Especially on Shabbat and during Jewish holidays, settler attacks against the Palestinian residents of Tel Rumeida take place.

This incident is particularly concerning in the light of Netanyahu’s recent announcement that settlers would be allowed to move into Abu Rajab house by checkpoint 209 as well as the pending court case decision on the Rajabeh house, which would connect Kiryat Arba with the Tomb of the Patriarchs. It is clear that settlement expansion in Hebron will have disastrous consequences and will come with a great humanitarian cost for the surrounding Palestinian communities. more

Egypt temporarily opens Rafah crossing


EL-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Egypt re-opened the Rafah crossing for four hours on Saturday allowing around 370 people to travel between the Gaza Strip and Egypt, Egyptian director of the Rafah terminal Sami Mitwali said.

Around 150 people managed to enter Egypt, while 220 others entered the Gaza Strip between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Thirty-five trucks of construction material coming from Qatar also entered the Gaza Strip on Saturday. more

Egypt's Fahmi says supports Palestinian cause but threatens Gaza with military action


Egypt's Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmi has stressed his commitment to the Palestinian cause but reiterated his threat of military action against Gaza. Claiming that his meetings with President Mahmoud Abbas should send a strong message that Egypt is on board as far as the Palestinian issue is concerned, Fahmi added, "But let there be no doubt that while we will do everything possible to help the people of Gaza in their daily lives, we will secure our border against those who violate our sovereignty."

He told Alzaytouna correspondent Nasser al-Laham that whoever thinks that Egypt would tolerate its borders and sovereignty being violated does not understand the Egyptian character and the military force that he spoke about. "This would not be against the Palestinian citizens, wherever they are," he insisted, "but against those who have attacked the border and sovereignty. The Palestinian president is now assured that Egypt treats the Palestinians equally and that they won't be offended on Egyptian soil."

The foreign minister expressed his satisfaction at Barack Obama's speech to the UN General Assembly which basically gave a green light to the coup authorities to carry on with business as usual. "I think this is an advanced position in the right direction. Despite the fact that Americans have some questions, Obama has talked for the first time about the desire of the Egyptian people and their aspirations." That, he said, is a very important shift because the Egyptian arena has now become governed by the Egyptian citizen. "The world and President Obama have come to understand that, despite having some have some caveats." more

Zionist group renews attacks on California professor


A Zionist group based in California has renewed its vicious campaign against a mathematics professor at the California State University at Northridge (CSUN), claiming that he is violating the law by using university resources to express his personal and political views.

The professor, David Klein, an outspoken and unapologetic supporter of the Palestinian-led boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement, has told The Electronic Intifada that the renewed “harassment” has been disruptive.

But Klein says he is heartened by the broad and solid support he has received for his exercise of his free speech rights.

The Amcha Initiative, and its zealous co-founder, Tammi Rossman-Benjamin, sent a letter to the California State University board of trustees last week attacking Klein for a website he runs that lists resources on global BDS campaigns. Amcha has attempted to shut down Klein’s website for years without success.

In its latest claim, Amcha alleges that Klein’s actions and his website are “anti-Semitic,” and complains that he has violated state law.

It also adds that he has “misused his CSUN email account” to promote a Green party congressional candidate who supports the BDS movement. more

Child shot in the eye in Hebron by occupation soldiers


Saturday [September 28, 2013], Palestinian medical sources have reported that a seven-year-old child lost his right eye after being shot with a rubber-coated metal bullet fired by an Israeli soldier in Al-Fawwar refugee camp, south of the southern West Bank city of Hebron.

The sources added that the child’s mother was also shot by a rubber-coated metal bullet in her shoulder.

The mother and her child were trying to return to the refugee camp; they were far from clashes taking place between the soldiers and local youths.

Eyewitnesses said that the mother and her child were trying to cross a road in an attempt to find a way back to their home after the army closed the main entrance of the camp.

Nasser Qabaja, head of the Disasters Unit at the Red Crescent in the southern part of the West Bank, stated that an ambulance transferred the child from Abu Al-Hasan Hospital to the Hebron Governmental Hospital, before moving him to the St. John Eye Hospital in occupied Jerusalem. more