Thursday, 28 November 2013

Israeli forces raid home to arrest 4-year-old, dad says


Does the child pictured above look like a danger to you?

He does to Israeli occupation forces in Jerusalem who woke him up in the middle of the night intending to arrest him, his dad says.
The Wadi Hilweh Information Center reports today in Arabic:

Amid their frenzied campaign of arresting children in Jerusalem, Israeli forces raided the home of Zine al-Majid in the Saadia area of the Old City last week in order to arrest his son Muhammad, who is four years old. The boy’s father told Wadi Hilweh Information Center:

“A big force raided our house at dawn on Thursday, and demanded to know the names of my children. So I told them and they said, ‘we have an arrest order for Muhammad.’ I was shocked and asked one of them if he was sure. Muhammad is only four years old! But the officer was not convinced and asked me to wake him up, and after he saw him he backed down from carrying out the arrest.

The father added: “I told the officer, ‘you want to arrest him; should I send milk and diapers with him?’”

He said that the officer questioned him about his son and his son’s friends and if he was in the neighborhood, under the pretext that an Israeli settler had been injured. He threatened to summon and interrogate the child if the accusations were established.
more

Rafah crossing remains open for second day in row


GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Egyptian authorities on Thursday allowed the Rafah crossing to stay open for the second day in a row, officials said.

Crossing officials on the Palestinian side said that 553 people have left Gaza for Egypt through Rafah since Wednesday.

Egyptian authorities rejected entry to 30 people, without clarifying motives for doing so, the officials added.

The Rafah crossing has been the principal connection between Gaza's 1.7 million residents and the outside world since the imposition of an economic blockade by Israel beginning in 2007. more

Israeli forces demolish Palestinian home in Salfit


SALFIT (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces demolished a Palestinian home in Salfit on Thursday on the pretext that the home was unlicensed, a local official said.

Kamal Yousef, mayor of Deir Ballut village, told Ma'an that Israeli bulldozers destroyed the home and razed land in the surrounding area of Fusoul.

The home belonged to Ghanem Mahmoud Abed al-Karim.

Around 70 homes in the area are under threat of being demolished, Yousef added.

Researcher Khalid Maali said that Israeli forces claim the homes are unlicensed and that the area is a nature reserve.

Israel has destroyed more than 500 Palestinian properties in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since the beginning of this year, displacing 862 people, according to UNOCHA. more

Witnesses: Israeli navy detains 2 Gaza fishermen


GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli naval forces detained two fishermen off Gaza Strip's southern coast on Thursday, witnesses said.

Israel's navy fired warning shots at Mahmoud and Ahmad Hassouna before detaining them off the coast of Rafah, locals said.

The two fishermen were taken to an unknown destination and their fishing boat was confiscated.

In May, the Israeli government re-extended Gaza's fishing zone to six miles, after reducing it in March following a rocket attack from the coastal territory.

The zone had been extended to six miles as part of an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire that ended an eight-day conflict between Israel and Hamas in November. more