Tuesday, 4 March 2014

95% drop in convoys and delegations to Gaza due to Egypt tightening siege

The governmental Committee to Break the Siege On Gaza released its report of the number of solidarity delegations to Gaza during last January and February.

The ministry of foreign affairs said that there has been a significant decline in the number of delegations coming to Gaza. In January the ministry received three delegations consisting of 32 supporters.

The committee said that the number of convoys and delegations decreased by 95% compared to the same period last year, when the committee received 97 delegations consisted of 2,500 supporters.

For his part, committee vice president Alaa’ al-Batta said: “Egyptian authorities did not allow any delegation to enter Gaza despite the prompt attempts by the committee and other parts”

Al-Batta called for the Egyptian authorities to allow solidarity convoys to enter Gaza, emphasizing the importance of Egyptian authorities dealing with the convoys on a humanitarian basis, regardless of the political positions.

The governmental Committee to Break the Siege on Gaza constantly contacts international, regional and humanitarian organizations and briefs them on the difficult humanitarian and living conditions in Gaza, and the constant threat of a deterioration in those conditions due to the continuing closure of the Rafah crossing. more

Israeli airstrike kills 2 Palestinians in Gaza


GAZA CITY (AFP) -- An Israeli airstrike on the northern Gaza Strip killed two Palestinians and wounded two others on Monday, the emergency services in Gaza said.

Emergency services chief Ashraf al-Qidra told AFP that Musab Moussa al-Zaaneen, a man in his early 20s, was killed in the raid on farmland near the town of Beit Hanoun.

He later added that Sharif Nasser, 31, had died of injuries sustained in the attack.

The Israeli military spokesman's office said the target was a Palestinian "rocket-launching squad". more