Monday, 27 October 2014

Remains of Palestinian man found under rubble in Gaza


Search crews in Gaza on Monday found the remains of a Palestinian who was killed during the recent Israeli assault on the Strip, a Ma'an reporter said.

The body of Zuhdi Abd al-Hamid Abu al-Rus, 22, was found under the rubble of a destroyed mosque in al-Nuserat.

Israeli forces targeted the mosque on Aug. 9.

The Israeli offensive on Gaza lasted five weeks, killed nearly 2,200 Palestinians, and left over 100,000 homeless. more

Unilateral Israeli action will lead to 'explosion' as 1,000 more settler homes announced


Palestinian officials strongly condemned Israel on Monday after it announced plans for 1,000 new settler homes in East Jerusalem.

Jibril Rajoub, a senior member of Fatah, warned of violent consequences likely to follow the latest settlement plans.

"Such unilateral acts will lead to an explosion," he told a gathering of foreign journalists in the West Bank city of Ramallah.

"If he wants to keep pushing us all into a vicious circle of bloodshed and killing he must draw the right conclusion from what happened in Gaza," Rajoub added.

Senior PLO negotiator Saeb Erekat said the decision "amounts to evidence of an intent to further commit crimes defined by and punishable under international law."

"The announcement by Israel's housing minister, Uri Ariel, who is already a settler, of his intent to occupy a seized Palestinian home in Silwan is just another shocking reminder of Israel's accelerating efforts to forcibly displace Palestinians from Jerusalem and turn the Holy City of three faiths into an exclusive Jewish city." more

Interior ministry rejects attempts to blame Gaza for Sinai attacks


Gaza's Interior Ministry in Gaza issued a statement, on Saturday, which refuted all accusations that Gaza is behind the recent attacks on Sinai, by affirming that the southern border with Egypt is under tight supervision and strict security measures.

Al Ray reports that spokesman for the Interior Ministry, Iyad al-Buzom, confirmed that the Egypt's national security is a top priority for Palestinians, stating: “We will not allow the security of our borders to be harmed.”

He said that the Gaza Strip had nothing to do with events currently unfolding in Egypt, and that the underground tunnels which lie on the border had already become something of the past.

Mr. Al-Buzom called on Egypt to exclude the Strip from any post-attack measures which might worsen the suffering of its population, amidst the all-out blockade initiated by Israel and backed by Egypt since 2007.

The Ministry described Friday's attack against the Egyptian troops as a "despicable crime", offering condolences to the Egyptian people and their government.

Israeli media made clear, according to Al Ray, that the new measures will ban Palestinian workers from Israeli public buses, though the army sees no potential security danger to be noted.more

Video: London activists occupy Airbus to protest Israel weapons deals


More than twenty activists occupied the London offices of Airbus on Friday to protest the aerospace company’s military cooperation with Israel.

“Staff were unable to arrive for work and senior executives agreed to meet the campaigners in a bid to end the occupation of the second floor office on the Strand,” says a statement from London Palestine Action. “The occupation lasted more than an hour, whilst others distributed leaflets and spoke to the public outside the offices.”

The video shows activists inside Airbus’ offices and at a certain point police are called.

Activists occupy the London offices of aircraft and weapons manufacturer Airbus. (Coralie Datta) “Airbus writes on its website that ‘contributing to the wellbeing of the communities in which it works is an ethical imperative,’ but there is nothing ethical about profiting from Israel’s war crimes against the Palestinian people,” London Palestine Action states.

“Airbus has close ties with Israel Aerospace Industries, which is an Israeli state-owned company that is a key supplier of drones to the Israeli military. Drones were widely used in attacks on civilians during the recent Israeli attack on Gaza in which more than 2,100 Palestinians were killed,” the statement adds.

Airbus and Israel Aerospace Industries are currently working together to build a drone based on the Heron model extensively used in Israeli war crimes against Palestinians.

Among the companies’ other collaborations, London Palestine Action notes, are an “early warning system” for warplanes and a “semi-robotic pilot controlled vehicle” called Taxibot. more

Thousands attend funeral of slain US-Palestinian teen


Thousands of Palestinian mourners in Silwad near Ramallah on Sunday attended the funeral procession of a 14-year-old Palestinian-American boy who was shot dead by Israeli forces on Friday.

All shops in the the town were closed in honor of the victim, Orwa Abd al-Hadi Hammad.

The funeral had been delayed until Sunday as locals awaited the arrival of Orwa's father from the US and his mother from Jordan.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said at the time of the killing that soldiers fired at a "Palestinian adult" who was preparing to throw a Molotov cocktail at forces in the area.

Witnesses said Hammad was hit by an Israeli sniper from close range, insisting the soldier shot to kill.

US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the US "expresses its deepest condolences to the family of a US citizen minor who was killed by the Israeli Defense Forces."

Calling for "a speedy and transparent investigation," Psaki said officials from the US consulate in Jerusalem were in touch with the family of the slain youth. more