Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Ministry to rebuild tower block destroyed during Gaza war


GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian minister of public works and housing said Tuesday that the ministry has laid a cornerstone for the reconstruction of a residential tower block in Gaza City.

Mufid al-Hasayneh said: "The rebuilding of this tower is a significant event and is the start of the rebuilding of all towers destroyed during the war"

"The ministry is continuing its efforts to distribute aid money to people whose houses were partially damaged, and hand out mobile homes and construction materials."

Several multistory residential buildings in Gaza City were targeted by Israeli forces during the war, killing dozens of civilians. more

Soldiers open fire on Palestinian homes, land, near Gaza


Israeli soldiers, stationed across the border fence on the eastern border with Gaza city, fired on Tuesday morning rounds of live ammunition, and one shell, targeting a number of farmlands and homes.

The Palestinian News & Info Agency (WAFA) said the soldiers, and armored vehicles, fired dozens of rounds of live ammunition, and a tank shell, hitting farmlands and homes, causing property damage but no injuries.

Earlier on Tuesday, the soldiers claimed a mortar shell, allegedly fired from Gaza, landed and exploded near the border fence, east of Rafah, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

Israeli soldiers conduct daily violations and assaults against the Palestinians and their lands in different parts of the Gaza Strip, especially in areas close to the border fence in the northern and eastern parts of the coastal region. more

Israel steps up war against children in East Jerusalem


Israeli troops broke into a Palestinian home in the al-Tur neighborhood of East Jerusalem and handed a warrant to the owner demanding that he send two of his boys to the Russian Compound police station for questioning.

The boys' father Arafat Abu Sbeitan told Ma'an in Jerusalem that Israeli troops wanted at the beginning to arrest his sons Muhammad, 12, and Ibrahim, 10.

However, he refused to turn the boys in.

He told the soldiers that Muhammad had an appointment at the doctor after he was bitten by a dog and Ibrahim has recently underwent eye surgery. The soldiers then ordered Abu Sbeitan to bring his sons to Israeli police station for questioning.

"The occupation soldiers forced me to wake my sons up so they can make sure that there was a sign of a dog bite on Muhammad's hand. They then took photos of the boys and handed me a summons demanding that I bring them to the Russian Compound police station for questioning."

Israeli forces have detained more than 20 teens and youths from al-Tur since the beginning of February accusing them of different charges including manufacturing improvised weapons and devices to be used against Israeli forces. more