Sunday, 27 September 2015

Gas deal would make Jordan donor to Israeli apartheid


Activists in Jordan have put the state “on trial” for a $15 billion gas deal it is aiming to conclude with Israel.

Dozens of organizations — including trade unions and political parties — have gathered under the Jordanian Campaign to Stop the Zionist Gas Deal, a coalition that was formed in December by several popular movements that began campaigning against the proposed deal in early September last year.

The deal is being negotiated by the state-owned National Electric Power Company and a consortium led by US giant Noble Energy. If implemented, it would involve the extraction of more than 300 million cubic meters of natural gas from the Israeli-controlled Leviathan gas field in the Mediterranean Sea.

On 5 September, members of the public took the Jordanian government and the state-owned company to task at a popular tribunal.

Among the charges considered were that the deal would involve funding Israeli terrorism, threaten Jordan’s national security and aid war crimes against Palestinians.

After concluding that the proposed deal would violate Jordanian anti-terror law and the country’s penal code, the tribunal declared it null and void.

Although summons were delivered to the offices of the prime minister and the national company ahead of the recent tribunal hearing, they failed to send representatives. more

PA: Israel 'trying to kill' hunger striking Palestinian prisoners


RAMALLAH (Ma’an) -- The Palestinian Authority's committee for prisoners' affairs on Sunday said that Israeli authorities have thus far refused the committee'srequestsfor seven Palestinian hunger strikers to betransferredto hospitals for treatment.

In a statement, the committee accused Israel of "trying to kill" seven hunger striking prisoners who have been on strike for 40 days, alleging that the“Israeli government is wearing down the prisoners onpurposein order to force them to end their hunger strike by depriving them of medical treatment and sending them to prison wards where criminal prisoners are being held.”

The statement pointed out that the prisoners’ committee had submitted an emergency appeal to Israel’s High Court, asking the court to order the prisoners' hospital transfers.

A spokesperson for the Israeli Prison Service told Ma'an over the phone on Sunday that the ISP could confirm the prisoners had not been transferred to hospitals, stating that the prisoners had "only been [hunger striking] for 30 days, and they are not required to be moved to a hospital until after 35 days."

However, Ma'an first reported that at least five of the hunger strikers began their strike on Aug. 18, exactly 40 days before. more