Friday, 2 October 2015

Hundreds of Israeli forces search Nablus area after settler shooting


BEIT FURIK (Ma'an) -- Hundreds of Israeli troops were searching for suspected Palestinian gunmen on Friday after the killing of a settler couple between the illegal Israeli settlements of Itamar and Elon Moreh near Nablus in the northern West Bank on Thursday evening.

A Ma'an reporter said dozens of Israeli army vehicles were stationed near Huwwara and searching vehicles in the area.

The Beit Furik military checkpoint was only open in one direction, with Palestinian residents prohibited from leaving. Residents told Ma'an that they had been waiting outside at the checkpoint all night to return to their homes.

Israeli soldiers reportedly told residents that the checkpoint was closed to prevent clashes with settlers, who had gathered at the other side of checkpoint and were threatening Palestinians.

Dozens of settlers protested at the Zatara checkpoint in southern Nablus chanting "Death to Arabs" and calling for a response to the killing of the two settlers, as Israeli armed forces were stationed nearby.

Settlers threw rocks at Palestinian vehicles in southern Nablus, witnesses said. more