Monday, 25 July 2016

Locals: Israeli settlers preparing new illegal outpost in Hebron area


A group of Israelis have reportedly begun setting up an illegal settlement outpost in the southern occupied West Bank district of Hebron, locals told Ma’an on Sunday.

Hebron-area local Abd al-Karim al-Zaatari told Ma’an that settlers brought caravans and tents in the area near the villages of Khallat al-Dabi and al-Buera, close to the settlement of Kharsina, earlier this month, not long after a Palestinian teenager stabbed and killed a 13-year-old Israeli girl in the illegal settlement of Kiryat Arba, before being killed himself by a security guard.

Al-Zaatari added that the Israeli settlers installed a sign reading “we returned to our home” outside of the outpost.

The new outpost may be in the same location as a previously illegal outpost which was evacuated by Israeli forces in 2012.

Israel's Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT), the agency responsible for implementing Israeli policies in the occupied Palestinian territory, responded to a request for comment on the matter.more