Saturday, 20 August 2011

Al-Qassam Brigades warns against escalation as it ends ceasefire with Israel


GAZA, (PIC)-- Al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas, on Friday warned the Israeli occupation state that it would pay dearly for its crimes in the Gaza Strip and vowed to avenge the blood of civilians and resistance fighters.

In a press release, the Brigades added that Israel's persistence in its aggression against Gaza people would bring disasters on its entity and security.

The statement underlined that Al-Qassam Brigades would be in the vanguard defending the Gaza Strip and its steadfast people and would not allow the occupation to escalate its attacks without retaliation.

The Brigades strongly denounced the latest Israeli crime which happened in a neighborhood in Rafah area killing one child, four fighters from Salahuddin Brigades, and one senior official from the popular resistance committees.

For its part, the popular resistance committees warned the Israeli occupation that Salahuddin Brigades, its armed wing, would respond strongly to the killing of a senior official and fighters of the committees.

Senior official of the committees Ayman Al-Shashniya stated that such Israeli crimes would only increase the Brigades' determination to resist the occupation.

He urged all the armed wings of resistance factions to get ready to repel Israel's aggression against their people in Gaza, and called on the Israeli occupation state to prepare for the worst to come. more

More details on latest Israeli war crime - disabled child shot 10 times in head and chest, help blocked


From the Palestinian Center for Human Rights

In a New Crime, IOF Kills Disabled Child in Central Gaza
Wednesday, 17 August 2011 10:30
Ref: 83/2011

On Tuesday evening, 16 August 2011, the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) killed a Palestinian child from al-Nussairat refugee camp, who was 400 meters from the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel, east of Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip. The victim's family told a PCHR field worker that their child had a mental disability. The victim was in an area that had not been explicitly declared as prohibited.

According to investigations conducted by PCHR, at approximately 18:00 on Tuesday, 16 August 2011, Israeli soldiers stationed at the border northeast of Deir al-Balah opened fire at a Palestinian, who was nearly 400 meters from the border. As a result, he was wounded by 10 bullets in his head and chest. He was left wounded without being offered any first aid. After coordination was made with IOF, at approximately 19:20, medical crews were able to retrieve the body, which was then transferred to al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah. After four hours later, the child was identified as Sa'd Abdul Rahim Mahmoud al-Majdalwai, 17, from al-Nussairat refugee camp. He was hit by 10 live bullets mostly to the head. In his testimony to PCHR, the victim's father said that his son had been suffering from a mental disability and a speech impairment.

The Israeli radio reported that IOF observed a person approaching the security fence, and shot him. This version of events confirms that IOF could have arrested or used less than lethal force against him, especially as he was wearing civilian clothes and there was nothing to indicate that he was a non-civilian.

It should be noted that on Tuesday morning, the Gaza Strip witnessed several shooting and shelling attacks on civilian areas and military training sites. As a result of this shelling and shooting, a Palestinian resistance man was killed and two others were seriously wounded in Gaza City. A child and another person were wounded in Khan Yunis and Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip.

PCHR condemns and expresses concerned over this crime, and:

1. Asserts that these crimes are part of a series of war crimes committed by IOF in the oPt, which reflect total disregard for the lives of Palestinian civilians.

2. Calls upon the international community to take immediate action in order to put an end to such crimes. PCHR further renews its demand for the High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention to fulfill their obligation under Article 1, which stipulates "the High Contracting Parties undertake to respect and to ensure respect for the present Convention in all circumstances," as well as their obligations under Article 146 which requires that the Contracting Parties prosecute persons alleged to commit grave breaches of the Fourth Geneva Convention. These grave breaches constitute war crimes under Article 147 of the same Convention and under Protocol I Additional to Geneva Conventions. PCHR

Egyptian Coalition of Revolutionary Forces calls emergency rally at Israeli embassy

Egyptian protest on 15 May at Israeli Embassy in Cairo (Photo: Mai Shaheen)

The Egyptian Coalition of Revolutionary forces has called for an emergency rally at the Israeli embasssy in Cairo today at 1:00pm.
The Coalition, which is made up of more than 40 revolutionary youth groups and political organisations, has called the emergency action tto protest both Israel's ongoing military attacks on Gaza and the killing of an Egyptian army officer and two soldiers yesterday in the Sinai peninsula during cross border raids against Palestinian activists.

The Coalition is calling on the Egyptian government to expel the Israeli ambassador in Cairo as a strong message to the Israelis. It has also called on the ruling military council to hand power to a civilian administration and return to its barracks in order to focus on Egypt's border security.

In recent days, the Egyptian army has deployed tanks into the Sinai peninsula for the first time since Egypt and Israel signed a peace treaty in 1979 in order to curb the influence of suspected Islamic militants in the northern part of the area. more

Gaza casualty list: 15 killed in airstrikes since Thursday


See the casualty list at end of clipping (International Middle East Media Center):
As Israel continued the bombardment of the Gaza Strip since Thursday, Palestinian medical sources in Gaza reported that the number of slain residents arrived to 15, while more than 40 others, were wounded in the last 24 hours of military escalation.

The sources stated that the Israeli Air Force fired a missile at a motorcycle driving in Ath-Thaltheen Street, in Gaza City, killing three residents, including a child. Their bodies were severely mutilated.

Adham Abu Salmiyya, spokesperson of the Higher Committee of Medical and Emergency Services in Gaza, reported that the child was only two years old, and that one woman is among the injured.

The casualties were identified as Dr. Monther Qreiqe’ and his brother Mo’taz of the Al Quds Brigades, the armed wing of the Islamic Jihad, and a two-year-old child identified as Islam. They were transporting Islam to a local hospital as he needed urgent medical care.

Abu Salmiyya added that residents Anwar Salim and Imad Abu Abda were also killed when the Israeli Air Force bombarded their motorcycle while driving near the southern entrance of the Al Boreij Refugee camp in central Gaza. The two are among the leaders of the Islamic Jihad Movement.

The latest escalation raises the number of Palestinians killed by the Israeli army in 24 hours since Thursday to 15 residents.

The Israeli army carried out at least 50 strikes targeting several areas in the Gaza Strip injuring 45 Palestinians, including 10 children, 8 women, and two elderly.

Local sources in Khan Younis reported that the Israeli Air Force fired on Friday evening at least one missile into Abasan Al Jadeeda; damage was reported, no injuries.

The Air Force also fired one missile at a motorcycle in Sheikh Zayed area, in the northern part of the Gaza Strip, killing Samed Abed, 25, member of the Salah Ed Deen Brigades of the Popular Resistance Committees.

Also, several residents were injured, including a 15-year-old child who suffered serious injuries, when the army bombarded Hassanen factory near Al Wafa’ Hospital, east of Gaza city.

On Friday morning, one resident was killed and another was injured when the Israeli Air Force bombarded an area east of Gaza City. The resident, Mohammad Enaya, 22, was initially seriously wounded when the missile led to the amputation of his legs and arms, and died of his wounds later on.

The army also fired a missile, on Friday before noon, at a car driving near the Gaza Sea, west of Gaza City, no injuries were reported. The Israeli bombardment also caused a power blackout in the area.

List of the residents killed by the army since Thursday;

1. Abu Awad Al Nairab, Secretary General of the Salah Ed Deen Brigades.
2. Imad Hammad, Popular Resistance Committees.
3. Abu Jamil Shaath.
4. Khaled Al Masry.
5. Imad Nassr.
6. Malak Shaath, 2 years old.
7. Mahmoud Abu Samra, 13 years old.
8. Ashraf Azzam, 30.
9. Mohammad Enaya, 22.
10. Samed Abed, 25.
11. Anwar Islayyim, 21.
12. Imad Abu Abda.
13. Monther Qreiqe’, 32.
14. Islam Qreiqe; 2.
15. Mo’taz Qreiqe’.


more

Sit-in continues at Israeli embassy in Cairo: 'Give us guns and send us to Sinai'

(From Ahram Online - Egyptian protesters gather in front of the Israeli embassy in Cairo, Egypt, early Saturday, Aug. 20, 2011. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

Hundreds continue to sit-in before the Israeli Embassy in Cairo after a night-long protest over the killing of five Egyptian soldiers in an Israeli border attack.

The demonstrators demanded that authorities expel the Israeli ambassador and sever all ties with Israel as a response. The protesters removed the cement barriers that block the path to the building where the embassy is located and demanded that the Israeli flag be brought down and removed.

Egypt’s government did not issue a response until three hours after midnight, demanding that joint investigations start immediately and that Israel issue an official apology. The Cabinet also stated that it will recall the Egyptian ambassador from Israel as a response.

Thousands of Egyptians, angered by the killings, continued demonstrating through Friday night chanting “Egyptian blood is not cheap" and "Give us guns and send us to Sinai." more

'State of panic' as six killed in Israeli airstrikes across Gaza


GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Renewed airstrikes across the Gaza Strip late Thursday killed a Palestinian teenager and injured more than a dozen others amid an escalation in violence that left some 20 people dead throughout the day.

Just after midnight Friday, Israeli warplanes launched a series of raids targeting Gaza City, the northern towns of Beit Hanoun and Beit Lahiya, and Khan Younis in the south.

Gaza medical official Adham Abu Salmiya said an airstrike on a home near the former intelligence services headquarters in Gaza City killed 13-year-old Mahmoud Abu Samra and injured 18 others.

A Palestinian was also missing in the Rafah tunnel area, medics said.

Elsewhere, Apache helicopters fired at least two missiles toward a Palestinian military site in the town of Beit Lahiya and a missile near Khan Younis landed in an open area and caused no injuries or damage.

A Ma'an correspondent described a "state of panic" across Gaza as Israel renewed bombings just hours after an airstrike killed six Palestinians in Rafah, near Egypt's border. more

Israeli invasion of Sinai killing 5 policemen and rising protests forces Egypt to withdraw ambassador


Egypt withdraws its ambassador from Israel following Israel invasion of Sinai and death of five Egyptian policemen protests continue for second day out side Israeli embassy in Cairo.
CAIRO (Ma'an) -- Egypt has decided to withdraw its ambassador from Israel to protest the deaths of five policemen killed on the border during retaliatory attacks on Palestinian militants, state television said Saturday.

"Egypt has decided to withdraw its ambassador to Israel until there is an official apology," it said.

The Egyptian government had asked "for an official apology from Israel" at the end of a crisis meeting overnight, the state-run MENA news agency reported in a statement. more